Occupational therapy (OT) is an allied health profession that focuses on maximising a person’s independence and productivity level in their activities of daily living (self-care, work and leisure).
OT helps children by providing them with the necessary foundations for successful living. In order to help a child develop age appropriate skills that are needed for his/her ‘occupations’ in self-care, play/social and school, we assess the underlying skills that hinder a child’s performance such as their motor skills, sensory processing, attention, behaviours and their ability to plan, sequence and organize a task from beginning to end.
Our paediatric OT often sees children with a wide range of conditions such as:
- Behavioural and attention difficulties
- Fine motor and handwriting difficulties
- Sensory integrative dysfunction
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Developmental delays
- Developmental coordination disorder (DCD)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Dyslexia & learning disabilities
- Cerebral palsy and hemiplegia
- Chromosomal/Genetic disorders e.g. Down’s Syndrome, William’s Syndrome
- Enuresis (bed-wetting)
- Social skills and social thinking issues
- School and learning support issues
- Psychosocial issues
Areas that occupational therapist can help with are:
- Attention and Behaviour
- Fine motor and Handwriting skills
- Gross motor skills e.g. jumping
- Hand-eye coordination e.g. hitting a ball
- Basic self- care skills e.g. dressing, toileting
- Evaluate the need for specialised equipment e.g. wheelchairs/positioning
- Sensory integration (SI)
- Parent craft/Parenting skills
We ensure that your child’s skills for these ‘occupations’ are relevant, meaningful and are developmentally age appropriate so they independent yet effective in all areas of their lives.
If you have any concerns regarding your child’s ability to perform or participate in age appropriate activities or your child’s teacher has indicated concern related to their skills level in the classroom, a consultation with an occupational therapist is highly recommended.